- (UUO) Unknown Underwater Object found off the Florida Coast:
- More on the Terrorist Banana Situation (I’ve noticed the local stores here don’t carry Chiquita anymore . . .) (From Time Magazine)
- Still, Chiquita continued to make monthly payments to the AUC until February 2004, even after disclosing the situation to the Justice Department. The Justice Department proposed a settlement under which the company would pay a fine of $25 million — one quarter of the maximum criminal fine that would have applied had the company been found guilty in court.The terms of the deal scandalized human rights activists in Washington and high-level officials in Colombia: “If they had admitted to paying Al-Qaeda, things would be different,” said Dan Kovalik, a lawyer with the United Steelworkers Union, which is sponsoring civil suits against a number of U.S. corporations for allegedly hiring Colombian paramilitaries to kill or intimidate union members and officials.“It’s like they’re saying, well, yes, they’re terrorists, but they’re our terrorists,” Kovalik said.
- Obama’s Howard Dean moment: will it paralyze his popularity with the netroots? I actually found Joe’s firsthand account of this through my Myspace account, then checked out DKos for updates, and noted JoeMyGod’s mention of it this morning. KO’s talking about it as well. Could this be the equivalent of Dean’s infamous “scream?”
- McCain thinks openly serving gay troops prove an “intolerable risk.” Question: since the December Zogby poll of U.S. Military personell shows that 73% are comfortable serving with gays and lesbians, do “out-of-touch” presidential candidates prove an “intolerable risk?”
- And if you haven’t seen this yet you’re living under a rock: