More Scam Letters

Now I know why they call it Yahoo.  It seems like all my email these days comes from just that: a bunch of yahoos.  And they all want me to (shhhhhh) keep it a secret

Right.  They don’t know me very well, do they?

Today’s letter from Idiocy International comes from a man named Henry Garang.  Here’s the text:

You may be surprised to receive this letter from me since you don’t know me in person, First I must introduce myself I am MR. HENRY GARANG, The only son of the late MR. JOHN GARANG a former rebel leader from SUDAN NORTH OF AFRICA, My father MR JOHN GARANG died on saturday 30th of july 2005 as a result of plane crash in our country Sudan.
I decided to reach you through your address, Before the death of my father he deposited the amount of US$25,32000, 000.00(Twenty Five Million, Three Hundred & Twenty Thousand United States Dollars) in a private security and finance company in johannesburg south africa.
As a Refugee (ASYLUM SEEKER) I am not allow to operate any bank account or to be involved in any huge financial transaction and as the only child of my father I am saddled with the responsibility of seeking a genuine foreign partner where this money could be transferred without anyproblem.
If you therefore accept to assist me which I know you will, please contact me through the above e-mail address for more briefing on this business assistance.
For your assistance I have two options for you First, you can choose to have a certain percentage of the money, Secondly you can go into partnership with me for the proper profitable investment of the money in your country whichever the option you choose feel free to notify me, If you do not prefer a partnership, I am willing to give you 20% of the total sum while the remaining 80% will be for me and for my investment in your country.
I therefore implore you to please maintain the absolute confidentiality of this matter even if you decide not to help me.
Thanks and best regards.
MR Henry Garang.

Thank heavens he spelled it out for me, because I was completely unsure how much money $25,32000, 000.00 actually was!  One might almost assume it was 2 and a half Billion instead of a measly 25 million.  Pfft.  Not even worth the stamp.  (cue eye roll)

Hmm, let’s see: Plane crash?  Check.  Country in or near Africa?  Check.  Know what they’re not getting from me?  A check.  Or anything else for that matter.  How stupid do you have to be to fall for these things? 

As it turns out, pretty stupid, as I’ve said before.  Like a Michigan County Treasurer:

A public treasurer in the Michigan county of Alcona stands accused of embezzling tax payers out of more than $1.2m, at least part of which was used to cover costs he incurred falling for a Nigerian banking fraud.

Thomas Katona, the former Treasurer of Alcona County, was charged with nine felonies. According to the Michigan Attorney General’s office, the 56-year-old beancounter, who held his post for 13 years, also plowed $72,000 of his own money into the fraud.

County officials first suspected something was amiss late last year, when bank employees informed them Katona had sent eight payments totaling $186,500 to overseas accounts, six of which were associated with peddlers of the Nigerian scheme. He stepped down in November as authorities commenced an investigation.

I shake my head in disbelief.  And I’m going to keep posting these types of things every so often when I get fed up with them.  Hopefully interpol is reading my blog.  😉

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “More Scam Letters

  1. Pingback: money » List of Illinois endangered places includes ship

  2. There is one born every minute. What a complete MORON! Treasurer!? I wonder what his salary was. GREEDY little sucker, eh? Almost like those Publishers Clearing House mailers.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s